Ultimate Indulgence: Allergy & Vegan-Friendly Chocolate Cake
Personally, I love a challenge. I also love cake. I also love my friends and family. What I don't love is eating requirements that divide the dinner table. That's why I have perfected this delicious allergy-safe and vegan-friendly cake that is so good, you can't tell the difference. This cake is free from dairy, eggs and nuts. Simply use a GF flour to make it gluten-free.
I know this because I tested this cake on a few friends and it passed this flying colours. So no more denying yourself this chocolatey goodness with bizarre substitutes and alternatives. This is also a regular cake; no fancy ingredients like dates or coconut sugar. Just pure chocolatey goodness.
Disclaimer: You know your body and preferences better than I do so make the necessary substitutes to suit your lifestyle. If you're unsure, ask me your questions in the comments!
Allergy and Vegan-Friendly Chocolate Cake
A soft, airy cake with a rich, decadent chocolate flavour, coated in a sinfully-sweet icing.
- Preheat oven to 175°C and place shelf in the middle. Line the base of an 8 in./20 cm round cake tin and brush with a little oil. Sprinkle in some cocoa powder around the oiled pan so the cake will slide right out.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix cocoa powder and coffee granules together and slowly whisk in the warm water. Blend away the lumps and set aside.
- In a larger bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together and stir so it's evenly mixed. Make a well in the centre.
- Pour the chocolate mix and oil into the centre of the well. Slowly whisk the wet and dry ingredients together until just combined. It will feel a little thick but don't worry, we'll thin it out.
- Make sure your oven and pan are ready. When everything is ready to rock and roll, add the vinegar to the cake mix, stir until blended and pour batter evenly into the tin. Smooth out the batter and pop your tin in the oven.
- Bake for 1 hr at 175°C. Check the cake in the last 20 minutes or so, Cover the top with some foil if it's browning too quickly. It should be perfect after 1 hour.
- Cool in the tin for around 20 minutes and then carefully remove from the tin.
- Melt dark chocolate carefully.
- Stir in icing sugar. It'll be very thick and crumbly.
- Add water 1 tsp at a time until you have a runny consistency that will coat the back of a spoon.
- . Pour over completely cooled cake and smooth out with a spatula. Allow to set and harden before eating.
- serve and enjoy!
- 250 ml warm water
- 50g cocoa powder (+ a little extra for dusting)
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- 180g sieved flour (you can use a Gluten-free flour)
- 160g sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 125 ml light-flavoured oil like vegetable
- 1 tsp vanilla (either liquid or sugar)
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 50g dark chocolate
- 42g icing sugar
- 2-5 tsp warm water
There you have it! A cake to end all divisions and family rifts. It's super simple. I have adapted this recipe to perfect it. It is totally fool-proof and tastes amazing. I've baked it about 5 times so far to work out the kinks so you are left to enjoy this simplistic, delicious recipe!
If you try out this recipe, tell me what you thought in the comments below or tag me in your photos on Instagram! Don't forget to sign up to our newsletter so you can unlock exclusive content and the latest posts and updates to your inbox!