I'm a little bit of a pancake connoisseur. For me and the bf it's a Sunday tradition to make pancakes and listen to really cheesy 90's One Hit Wonders. We really ain't a fan of the big, thick American-style pancakes nor the small, thick Irish-style pancakes. Potato farls are a definite yes mind you.
Last year I posted my go-to pancake recipe but I have since improved on it making it closer to a more Traditional French Crepe (which I adore!) I don't have all the fancy hot plates and wooden sticks like the guys in the Christmas Market has so I make mine in my trusty ole Ikea frying pan.
You will have the batter ready to go in 10 minutes or so, it's waiting for them to cook that's the problem!
Makes approx. 10 Crepes / Serves 2 people
- 125g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 250mls cold milk
- 25g melted butter, unsalted
That's all there is to it! all you have to do is pour a small ladle into the pan and twist or smooth with the back of the ladle to spread the batter. It won't take long but you'll see it start to brown around the edge. Flip it, cook the other side and keep it cozy in the oven until you're ready to eat!
- Sift the flour into a bowl, stir in the salt and sugar.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour and pour a little bit of egg into it. Stir gently with a wooden spoon to Incorporated some flour. Continue adding the egg until it's all used and a thick paste has formed.
- Heat a non-stick pan to a medium heat. Heat your oven to 75-100*c with a plate inside to keep cooked pancakes warm.
- Slowly add cold milk to the flour paste, whisking to remover any lumps. Do this slowly!
- whisk in the melted butter until well incorporated.
GOES GREAT WITH:
I love to eat my crepes with sweet topping like Nutella, lemon juice and sugar, honey, fruit like bananas or strawberries, whipped creme or Ice cream. I even enjoy some savoury toppings like ham and cheese, chicken, spinach, even a Mediterranean-style salad. The possibilities are endless!
What are you going to be tucking into for Pancake Day? Perhaps you'll roll out my crepes or maybe give these soft, fluffy pancakes from Feathers and Brushes a whirl? Make sure your following me on Instagram to see my day of pancakes! That's not a thing? Well maybe we should make it a thing. Ha Ha!
Happy Griddlin' folks!